Principle of the Zone Diet:
The Zone Diet is based on eating accurate balanced ratio of carbohydrates (40%), fat (30%) and proteins (30%); to achieve hormonal balance especially as regards insulin production. Increased carbohydrates in diet produces too much insulin that converts those carbohydrates into fat and store them. Increased proteins has the contradictory effect, it produces too much glucagon, which frees carbohydrates that are stored up in the liver and then the brain tells the body that its energy supplies are fulfilled and you ought to stop eating. Consequently, consuming a diet wich is low in carbohydrates and balanced with protein will keep insulin and glucagon balanced, controlling your hunger with smaller number of calories. End result: fat loss and weight loss. The Zone Diet also keeps close watch on the calorie consumption, a meal should not exceed 500 calories and a snack 100 calories.
The Zone Diet is suitable for:
Individuals looking for an effective weight loss program, while reducing the risks of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and other chronic illness.
Foods in the Zone Diet:
- Foods encouraged by The Zone Diet include: fresh vegetables, fruits and nuts, leafy green vegetables, sufficient protein consumption, and eight glasses of water everyday.
- The Zone Diet prefers mono-unsaturated fats for saturated fats.
- Processed foods and meals that contain too much salt are not allowed.
Advantages of the Zone Diet:
- Effective weight loss program.
- Enhances general health, improves energy and mental health.
- Prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetes.
- Reduces the risks of cardiovascular diseases and other chronic illness.
Sample Plan of the Zone Diet:
- Breakfast: Egg white and asparagus omelet cooked in olive oil, Oatmeal, Fresh strawberries.
- Lunch: Broiled chicken breast, Mixed salad greens with tomato and olive oil salad dressing, Sliced pear.
- Dinner: Salmon poached in orange juice, Summer squash and zucchini sautéed in butter, Blueberries
- Snacks: Mozzarella cheese and an orange, Pudding, Frozen blueberry yogurt, Chicken salad, Berry banana slush, Almond oatmeal cookies.